Planning & Zoning

The City of Orange City uses a uniform building code called the Florida Building Code. Section 104.1.1 of the Florida Building Code states: “Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy or occupant content of a building or structure, or any outside area being used as part of the building’s designated occupancy (single or mixed) or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work.” Permits are required for replacement of windows and sliding glass doors, as well as fences, flagpoles, screen enclosures, storage sheds and metal carports.

How will I know when I need inspections?

Inspection depends on what is involved in the project. Information can be found on the building permit paid receipt, which has a checklist marking the various points when an inspection is mandatory.

Who assumes the responsibility if a contractor tells me to get an owner/builder permit?

The owner is responsible. It is up to the owner to ensure the contractor obtains his own permit. This permit makes the contractor legally responsible for their portion of the work. If you hire a contractor, it is your responsibility to ensure the contractor is licensed and insured. Always ask to see the permit for your project before it is begun. If no permit is obtained, you (the owner) are legally responsible. The status of a contractor’s license can be verified by contacting Building Department staff at 386-775-5423.

When are inspectors available?

Inspectors are available Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5 pm.

When are inspections performed.

Inspections are usually performed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Your plans and permit must be properly posted at the construction site and visible from the street. The job to be inspected must be accessible. To request an inspection, you need your permit number. The hours to call for an inspection are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (1-800-422-5220). Inspections requested prior to 4:00 p.m. are performed the next business day.

How long is a building permit valid?

A building permit is valid provided an approved inspection is obtained within 180 days of its issuance, and an approved inspection is obtained every 180 days until completion.

Do I need insurance for anyone helping me with the construction?

It is the owner’s responsibility to obtain insurance for all those on the job except licensed contractors. Check with your insurance agent. Your homeowner’s policy may provide coverage or you may need a rider to your policy to cover your liability. Since October 1, 1989, contractors are required by State Law to carry Workers’ Compensation Insurance if they have one or more employees.

May I do my own work?

If you plan to do the work, you are required to provide adequate proof of your ability to perform the work.

Can I build my own house?

Yes, as long as the property is in your name and it is for your own use. Mobile homes require a licensed mobile home installer to apply for the Permit under Florida Statute.

How many sets of plans are needed for a house permit?

Two sets of plans signed and sealed by a Florida registered architect or engineer.

Can I Build in a flood zone?

Yes, if you build your lowest floor at least one foot above the base flood elevation. There is specific documentation required if your property is in a flood zone or adjacent to a flood zone.

Who can tell me what I am allowed to build on my property?

The Development Services Department Office 205 E. Graves Avenue Telephone number (386) 775-5415.

When is a Notice of Commencement required?

When the value of the work exceeds $2,500, or in the case of mechanical work $ 5,000.

Where do I file a Notice of Commencement?

In the recording section of the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s Office, 101 N Alabama Ave., Deland, room 1212, Phone (386) 736-5912. In Daytona Beach, the office is in the City Island Courthouse, 125 E. Orange Ave. Room 100 Phone (386) 257-6006. In New Smyrna Beach, the office is at 124 N. Riverside Dr. Room 2, Phone (386) 423-3304.

What do I need to get a Contractor’s License?

You need to contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation Office at 1-850-487-1395.

Do I need a permit to put in a fence?

Do I need a permit for a utility shed?

Yes, you will need to provide 2 copies of your survey showing where your shed will be placed.

Do I need a permit for an above ground pool?

Can a handyman get a permit?

Does the owner have to sign the application when a contractor is applying for the permit?

No, we do not require the owner(s) to sign at this time.

Can I have subcontractors do some of the work on my job?

Yes, the must be a Florida Certified Contractor.

What if I don’t get my construction done in the allotted time?

You can apply for two, ninety-day extensions for the life of your permit after the first inspection.

If I am adding living area to my house, are there any other departments to deal with?

If you are adding or altering more than 100-square feet of living area (including glass/Florida rooms), you will need to contact the health department if you are on a septic tank to verify that your tank is adequate for the additional square footage.

When my house is complete, are there any fees that must be paid before I can move in?

Possibly, most properties must pay storm water utility fees and solid waste collection and impact fees.

Where do I find my tax parcel number?

It appears on the tax bill you receive from the Property Appraisers Office.

When can I have my power turned on?

Once all the inspections have been completed and all outstanding fees have been paid.

Do I need sanitary facilities on my job site?

Once work commences on the job site, toilet facilities must be provided.

How far from my property line can I erect a structure?

Contact the Development Services Department at (386) 775-5415 for information.

What are your office hours?

Office hours are from 8:00a.m to 5:00 p.m. Monday -Friday, no applications will be taken after 4:30 p.m.

Comments are closed.